Skip to main content
#
CONNELLSVILLE AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
 

Home
PRIDE IN CONNELLSVILLE CONTEST
CONNELLSVILLE BOOK
NEWSLETTER
About Us
CONNELLSVILLE HISTORY
Officers and Membership
Braddock's Crossing
Postcards and Photos
PAVILION RENTAL
Items for Sale
Links
Contact Us

TO BE ANNOUNCED
GREAT ALLEGHENY PASSAGE

Welcome to Connellsville Arch

FebruaryWelcome to the Connellsville Area Historical Society

NEW HOURS

The Gibson House is generally open Saturdays from 9 until 4.

Other days and times are by advance appointment. Wednesdays are preferred.

Open Saturday, February 3, 10, 17 and 24 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

 Connellsville Area Historical Society Announcements 

December Events

Saturday, December 16 - CONNELLSVILLE CHRISTMAS PRESENTS

https://www.facebook.com/events/885469146204548/

The Connellsville Historical Society at 217 West Patterson Avenue will be open again Saturday December 16 from 9:00 until 11:00 am with special Connellsville Christmas presents.

Choose from among 5 different Christmas ornaments, a beautiful throw with Connellsville scenes, a variety of books on local history, and T-shirts from special events.

 We have special prices on our 1906 Centennial History of Connellsville
and the Ellis History of Fayette County. They are now 50% off the original price.

This is an opportunity to send family and friends who no longer live in Connellsville a reminder of home.

Connellsville people will appreciate a reminder of our outstanding history.

CALLING

NANCY

WILLIAMS

Does anyone know NANCY WILLIAMS? WE RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING INQUIRY 11/2 from her:

Looking for father of Mahala Hatfield Nicholson (1831-1906.)

 

Mahala’s husband was Benjamin F. Nicholson, married in 1853. They have been mentioned as being in Bullskin and Connellsville. Some say her father was William, which is on her death certificate (mother’s name blank.) But by far most researchers say her father was Elias and her mother, Rosanna. Thank you for any assistance you can provide, Nancy

NANCY, YOUR EMAIL IS BROKEN. RETURN ADDRESS DOES NOT WORK. We have information for you if and when you see this.

EVENTS

Announcing the Fall, 2023 Pride in Connellsville Area Poster and Poetry Contest Winners

The purpose of this contest is to develop an interest in local history in students in grades 4-9. 
Students research an aspect of Connellsville Area history and then create a poem or poster 
illustrating that topic. Contest instructions and rules are provided to each public and private school in
the district. 

Winners are invited to a reception where they present their projects, receive their cash prizes, 
and enjoy refreshments. This reception, which also serves as the Connellsville Area Historical Society's
November meeting, will take place on November 15, 2023 at 6:30 pm, at the Connellsville Presbyterian Church. 
Students will be photographed for the Daily Courier, and the winning projects will appear in the winter
issue of the Connellsville Crossroads magazine.

 COL. WILLIAM CRAWFORD'S CABIN AT YOUGH RIVER PARK  
COL. CRAWFORD'S CABIN

    Col. William Crawford, outstanding local pioneer leader, was born in Virginia in 1732, the same year as his good friend, George Washington.  He came to this area in 1758, as an officer of the army of Gen. John Forbes as it marched westward in the second attempt to capture Fort Duquesne at the forks of the Ohio River.  Colonel Crawford was so impressed with the area, he decided to return once the Indian hostilities died down.

    He and his half-brother, Hugh Stephenson, came over the mountains in 1765 on horseback and decided once they reached the second crossing of the Youghiogheny River, at what was known as Stewart's Crossings, now Connellsville, that this was where he would bring his family to live.  He purchased 376 1/4 acres of meadow land in the bend of the river and took his family into the cabin in 1766.  Col. Crawford's name for his residence was originally "Spring Garden" but was widely known as "Crawford's Place" by the locals.  He also had a Spring House on his property, which was torn down in June of 1905.

    The Crawford family: the Colonel, his wife Hannah and their four children lived a very active life on the frontier.  The Crawford family was known for its hospitality.  Included among the visitors were George Washington and Lord Dunsmore, the Governor of Virginia.  In fact, George Washington taught Crawford the art of surveying when they were young men.  Col. Crawford surveyed and purchased land in the local area (Perryopolis) for George Washington.

    Colonel Crawford recruited soldiers for the Revolutionary War from his home on the banks of the Youghiogheny River.  These soldiers saw action in the battles of Long Island, Trenton and Princeton.

    Col. Crawford was with an expedition in 1782 to put down the hostile Indian tribes in what is now Ohio.  He got separated from his army and was captured by Delaware Indians.  He died a horrible death when he was burned at the stake in Upper Sandusky, Ohio on June 11, 1782. 

Colonel William Crawford

Colonel William Crawford

Sign Guest Book  View Guest Book 
1st CITY IN FAYETTE COUNTY, PA

CONNELLSVILLE AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
217 West Patterson Avenue
Connellsville, PA 15425


Phone: (724) 628-5344 (K. Hechler)

Phone: ‭(724) 603-3691‬ (S. Lewis)


Email: CHS@connellsvillehistoricalsociety.com


 

HISTORICAL SOCIETY EVENTS

FUTURE ANNOUNCEMENTS
See announcement on HOME page.

MT. VERNON IRON FURNACE STAINED GLASS WINDOW

Click on the link above (a new window will open) to view the newly installed stained glass window depicting the Mt. Vernon Iron Furnace placed in the Society's future home - THE GIBSON HOUSE on West Patterson Avenue.  It was designed and crafted by Society Member and Fayette County Cultural Trust Executive Director Daniel Cocks.  The stained glass was purchased through Youghiogheny Opalescent Glass in Connellsville and Dan donated his skill, craftsmanship and time.  It was installed by Dan and Michael Edwards on Saturday, April 25, 2009.